Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bean Trellis and Garden Update

My beans are beginning to look very well, but they needed a trellis. So, on the same day I put in my bed around the black walnut tree, I put in a trellis for my beans.

I didn't really have anything to use, so I got inventive. We have lots of small saplings growing around the edge of our yard, so I took our limb cutters and traipsed around the front part of the yard looking for something to use. I found several mimosa trees that I cut off 3/4" branches about five feet long. I then found some old fallen branches in the woods that were about 1" thick. After sticking them in the ground gently, around the beans, I tied the mimosa branches together at the top, next adding the other branches until I had a trellis for the beans to grow up. To make sure the trellis wouldn't blow over, I tied each branch to the grid it was resting next to. It should be pretty sturdy now.


Here is an update view on one side of the bed. The eggplant looked a little worse for the wear, but now has new leaves budding out, so I think it was just shock from being planted. The tomatoes are doing pretty well, and have flowered now. I will be putting in a support for them this week that I will post about later. Marigolds are beginning to come up around the tomatoes. The corn is doing well next to the tomatoes and of course the beans are coming up nicely.


I have started a new bed for my carrots and potatoes. I might even add onions to this one. I didn't have anymore would and money was tight so I gathered up rocks and compost to use in this one. I have to add more rocks to the top to get it deep enough, since it is only about 6" deep right now and I need at least another 3-6".

I hope to add some mulch or something on the black weed blocker so it will look a little nicer, but time will tell. I still have space for another large planting area next to all of this, so I will try to do it in time to actually plant something, even if it is for winter veggies. Post more soon!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the idea about using branches to make a trellis. I tried using a nearby fence for my beans, but it was too far away. I could secure branches to the fence though and use them! YAY

    ReplyDelete