Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Something accomplished

Remember me showing you the before picture around my black walnut tree? To refresh your memory, here is the pic...


After a wonderful morning in the garden it now looks like this,

and on the other side like this,

I tried to label the plants for you to see what they are, but the font did not come out big enough. Oh well, I will describe instead
The purple bush is called loropetalum and will eventually have to be moved as it can get as tall as 12'. But for at least this year it will provide some structure here. It is a semi-evergreen with fushia colored blooms in early spring and late summer.
I also have four daylillies that should all be the orange kind, usually called tiger lillies.
There is lavender lantana on both sides of the tree and this particular one grows slowly through spring and then bounds through late summer and fall. In the winter cleanup, we have had branches as long as five feet from this thing, and the lavender blooms are gorgeous.
I also have purple ruffles basil and some plant I found growing in our yard. It is small, with compact green leaves and yellow cone shaped flower heads. I have no idea what it is, but it is pretty.
There is also a vine I found to grow against the tree, and will find out what it is later.
A butterfly bush and spiderwort are the last additions to this bed.
Once everything fills out I will post another picture.
And by the way, the bed edging is a composit material that I found marked 75% off at Lowe's one afternoon. I bought two containers of it and it took my one entire afternoon to clear the space for the bed, put down the edging and fill it with dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment