Monday, May 18, 2009

Square Foot Gardening Finished Product

Woo-hoo! I have at least partially finished something!! Yea!!

Here is what the ground looks like after it has been de-weeded and the black weed blocker fabric put on top. I held it down with rocks since I haven't decided what to cover the unused portions, or walkways, with yet.


This is what the dirt looks like in the box without the grid on it.


This is when we had planted almost all the squares. My oops is showing again! I don't know what happened; if we didn't put the box together square or if I had the strips cut to the wrong size, but after I screwed the first row of strips on, the second row didn't reach from end to end. So, like all true southerners, I improvised. You are supposed to screw or bolt the pieces together where they meet at each intersection, so I suspended the pieces where the screws at these points is what keeps the strips together. I really do think we did the box wrong, because I wasn't able to get all of the squares the same size, which you will notice if you look hard enough.


Here are the things planted in our garden; I had lots of help from my five year old daughter and it will be a great learning experience for both of us.

First I have three Atchison Tomatoes my grandfather gave me, but the internet refuses to believe there are actually tomatoes named that, so I don't know what to call them. I will post pictures of them later as tomatoes start forming on them.
At the base of each tomato plant, we planted seeds of Cracker Jack Marigolds,


Next to the tomatoes is a Ghostbuster Eggplant,


On the opposite corner from the eggplant are three green bell pepper plants in the same square,



We planted 2 lemon cucumber seeds in another square,


Also, we planted 2 Early Yellow Crookneck Squash,


And, we planted 2 Straightneck Early Yellow Squash,


In between the squash and bell pepper, we planted a square full of Common Sweet Basil seeds,


On the other side of the tomatoes, we planted 4 Golden Cross Bantam Hybrid Corn,


Next to that, we planted 4 Ruby Queen Hybrid Corn,


Next to that, we planted 4 Blue Lake Stringless Beans


Its neighbor is 4 Tendergreen Improved Beans,


In our pesky ditch for run off, I took my neighbor/cousin-in-law's advice, and planted Jack O Lantern pumpkins, which I have promised my daughter for two years we would plant.


We also scattered red poppy, morning glory, and zinnia seeds in various other ditches around our property. I will make certain to post pictures of them at a later time if they grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment